August 5, 1919, Vol. 2, No. 44


Miss Magee Surprises At Her Surprise Party

            The most unique surprise party ever given in camp was that recently held at the Visitors’ House in honor of Miss Mary C. Magee, the departing director.

            Miss Magee was to know nothing about the party. It was to be kept strictly quiet. All the guests were sworn to the solemnest secrecy. The plans were laid so well and the invited guests kept their pledges so faithfully that the affair was one of the few real surprise parties.

            And The surprise was on everyone but Miss Magee, because she didn't appear at all. She had intended to come back to camp from New York on the morning of the day of the surprise party, but when business detained her she saw no reason why she shouldn't stay over in the city until the next morning, and so she did.

            General and Mrs. Nicholson, Hermon Eldredge, Mrs. H. V. K. Gilmore, Mr. and Mrs. A. H. Dockray, Mr. and Mrs. Eric Dudley, Chaplain Salla, Chaplain Leveck and many welfare workers and officers were present at the dance. The staff of the Visitors’ House, Mrs. Marie Throop, MIss Edith Day, Miss Francis Castelio, Miss Leonore Dolan, Miss Ann McCarthy, Miss Dolorita Hickey and Miss Henrietta Martin, were the hostesses.

            The party was in the nature of a farewell also to Miss Mary Ebner, another member of the Visitors’ House staff, Who was returning to her home after six months’ work here.

            Mrs. Throop’s son, formerly Pvt. Leo L. Throop, of the 165th infantry, and now a K. of C. secretary, was present; another son, Lieutenant Colonel H. J. B. McElgin, of the seventh Division, would have you been there but for a summons to Washington.



            Eight hundred new enrollments in the American Legion have been reported by Herbert see Deardorf, The Legion’s representative here.

            Mr. Deardorf has established the Legion’s local headquarters in the U. S. Employment Building at Upton Boulevard and 4th Ave. An ex-service man himself, he is able to answer questions and give all the information that anyone wishes about the organization and its purposes.

            The Legion is either organizing or has organized 1,400 local posts throughout the country and approximately 200,000 ex-servicemen and women have signed up. It is expected that the enrollment will reach 1,000,000 by Armistice Day, November 11, when the first national convention will convene at Minneapolis.



            The Q. M. officers held a lawn party and dance last Wednesday evening. General and Mrs. Nicholson, Colonel and Mrs. Barnard and Major John H. Burns were present.

            Chinese lanterns decorated the grounds of the officers’ quarters at Upton Boulevard and Third Avenue, and the setting for the affair would have done credit to a country estate. The dance was held in the Buffalo Auditorium.


P. J. O’Connor, A. F. C., Appointed Chief Clerk

            P. J. O’Connor, Who has been on duty at Camp Headquarters the past few months,  was recently appointed Chief Clerk at Headquarters.

            While an enlisted man, stationed at Governors Island, Mr. O'Connor was appointed an Army Field Clerk. He was immediately sent overseas, when he was more than eighteen months’ active service on many fronts with the Second Army Corps.

            Since coming to Upton, Mr. O'Connor, through his general matters and ready whit, has made many friends, all of whom heard with satisfaction the news of his well merited promotion.


Headquarters Company Has Banquet On Beach

            The Camp Headquarters Company went to Smith's Point for an outing and shore dinner recently.

            Major J. D. Webb, Camp Exchange Officer; Capt. R. G. Baker, Capt. A. E. Schobeck, Camp Recruiting Officer, and Lieut. Roy B. Smith and Mrs. Smith were present.

            The banquet, served in the canteen at the Point, what is the most elaborate. The menu included baked clams by the bucketful, baked weakfish, fried chicken, lobster, corn on the cob, watermelon and ice cream.

            Before the”eats” the forty members of the company who attended the picnic went in bathing. The surf happened to be so rough that the boys had a lively time.

            First Sgt. Henry S. Evans and Mess Sergeant Harry Aschenbrand looked after the arrangements. Cook Vernon L Lister and Pvt. Robert E Long helped in the actual preparation of the dinner.

            It was Capt. Baker’s last appearance with the Headquarters Company, because he was scheduled to be discharged. The following day the company moved to new barracks adjacent to the bakers and cooks.



            Four automobile trucks leave the K. of C. Headquarters at Upton Boulevard every Saturday and Sunday at 2 PM for Smith's Point.

            The bathing facilities at the Point are excellent, and bathing suits are furnished free of charge. No passes are required and everyone is welcomed there.



            “Tangy,” a small African monkey, has been a recent guest of the camp. He was brought here as the mascot of the 135th Supply Company, and after the members of the company were discharged, remained as the part of Lieutenant E. B. Floyd, the commanding officer. Tangy was picked up in Tangier, Morocco, when the S.S. Taormania touched there while on the homeward bound trip with the supply company.


Demobilization Group Moves Nearer Station

            The Demobilization Group has moved to new quarters in the area adjacent to the railroad station. The change was made for the purpose of facilitating the work of discharging soldiers and to eliminate all useless movement of men from one place to another.

            A directory of the new offices, prepared by the Demobilization Officer, is as follows:

            Demobilization Group Headquarters—307 3rd Ave.—Adjutant, Personnel Adjutant, Police Officer, Supply and Mess.

            Dispatch Officer—202 7th St.

            Records Team—220 7th St.

            Discharge Examining Board—216 7th St.

            Billeting Center Headquarters—215 3rd St.

            Insurance—226 8th St.

            Transfer—226 8th St.

            D. G. Infirmary—205 3rd Ave.

            Officers’ Discharge Center—226 7th St.

            Information—Y. M. C. A. Building near R. R. Station.

            Records of Demobilized Organizations—219-B 8th St.





            Mrs. J. B. Mott, of New York City, whose summer home is in Bellport, gave her last party recently at “Y” Hut 30.

            Mrs. Mott has been a mother to the MPs for more than eighteen months, how many faithfully every Saturday afternoon, rain or shine, snow or sleet. She served hot cocoa and donuts to the boys in the winter and ice cold lemonade and chocolate cake in the summer. The service has been greatly appreciated by the men who frequent Hut 30, and they will all miss Mrs. Mott in the coming weeks.



            To increase the facilities of the Station Hut, the Y. M. C. A. has put up a big tent directly in the rear of it. Motion pictures and other entertainments will be given there.


Tony, You're Wanted Badly

            A certain young lady whose name and address is omitted for obvious reasons, has written to the Camp Commander for assistance in finding a man named Tony, who is of medium height, good looking, has small scars on his face and the prettiest teeth!

            When the letter was received it was decided at Camp Headquarters that the proper disposition of the query was to send it to Lieut. George J. Rawlins, of the Information Bureau.

            Lieut. Rawlins, after ransacking his card catalogue, sent a copy of the girl’s epistle to the Editor of Trench and Camp for publication, accompanied by a strictly formal military letter.

            “Please add a notice,” he said, “to the effect that ‘Tony’ may secure the original at this office—by showing his teeth or otherwise identifying himself.”

            The letter follows:



                                            Tuesday, July 15, 1919.


Commanding Officer, Camp Upton.

            Dear Sir:—Could you and would you help me to locate a young man in your camp? Providing it is still in existence, which I think it is. Now the war is over there is no danger of making trouble and perhaps you have time to spare, nowadays, for something like romancing. Really this is not romancing at all, but I met a nice young man in New York by the name of Tony, and that name was so predominating that I forgot his last name, and as I really expected to see him again before coming away, I did not trouble much about the last name nor his address either, and then suddenly I came back B— and did not get the chance to meet him again, as planned, and a woman does not want to be a disgrace to her skirt any more than a man wants to disgrace his uniform, and he would never do that. But of all the men I met while in New York that man keeps coming to my mind and I really would like to locate him again and if, after I described him, you can place him, and he still stops there, if you would even hand him this letter I will be very grateful and he may suit himself about answering.

            He is over the youth age, Sandy to a certain extent; I almost think he might be Scot is over the youth age, Sandy to a certain extent; I almost think he might be Scotch; has small scars on his face and the prettiest teeth I ever saw a man show; medium height and looks darned good in his uniform. I think his last name ended with a “ll” or a “tt,” but I do think “Tony” covered the whole grounds as far as personality, for he was the happy-go-lucky-est lad I ever met and I do hope that was not the end of so pleasant acquaintance. Don't know his station, but do you know he came from Springfield, Mass., and maybe that is why I took such interest in him, for it's nice to meet anyone from one's own state, even when away among such awful people as predominant in New York, ha, ha.

            And if you don't hand him this, but find him, please give him the address and tell him for me that if he ever comes to B— to just drop me a line and I will be glad to show him moving pictures we have in this cute little city. The Savoy Theatre has nothing on B—.

                                             Thanking you, I am, sincerely,

                                                  (Signed) Miss—————-


Officer Detailed To Aid In Enforcing Courtesy

            The strict enforcement of military courtesy and uniform regulations was directed in a recent memorandum issued by Camp Headquarters. It was pointed out that failure on the part of individual officers to correct violators of orders on the spot is it important contributing factor in slackness of discipline.

            The order continues:

            “Hereafter and officer will be detailed by these Headquarters to observe the conduct of the personnel, commissioned and enlisted, of this camp, answer report immediately by name every member of the personnel guilty of infractions of orders. Commanders to whose organizations these violators belong will then be subjected to disciplinary action.

            “Disciplinary action may also be had against the violator and the judgment of the organization commander.”





            Johnstown “Steve” McCann has arrived at the conclusion that he can just about drive a flivver as well as anyone in camp. We are beginning to believe it, too. “Steve” is a happy-go- lucky fellow, can you do anything once. “Steve” is a salty “Gob,” having been released from active service in the Navy. He is at present summering on Long Island with the Knights of Columbus and anyone desiring to learn all about the Johnstown flood can do so by calling Headquarters.



            Former enlisted men of the regular service who are now commissioned officers and will soon be discharged, may be  interested in the following statement from the Recruiting Service:

            “Former non-commissioned officers of the regular service now holding temporary commissions which will soon be terminated, as well as those officers, may be reenlisted in the grade from which they were discharged, for the purpose of excepting a commission, and placed on recruiting duty in New York, under authority granted by the War Department, to Colonel Wilbur E. Wilder, Cavalry, 461 Eighth Ave., New York City, in charge of the New York District.



            Bn. Sgt.-Maj. Earle R. Poorbaugh, Base Hospital, wishes 1st Sgt. Emil Zugehor, formerly of Co. L, 26th Infantry, to communicate with him if he is still in camp. Both men were buddies on the other side. Poorbaugh was driving his father’s auto through Upton the other day when he passed Zugehor, but later on all his efforts to discover where his charm was billeted met with failure.


How Things Do Move! Last July At Upton

            How different the camp is from what it was a year ago!

            Interesting sidelights on the transformation are contained in the columns of Trench and Camp for July 15, 1918. Among The headlines are the following:

            “$80,000 HOSTESS HOUSE IS PLANNED—Catholic War Council Would Provide Funds for Structure.”



            “CAMERAS BANNED.”





By L. C. Kellogg, A. F. C.

            Lieutenant-Colonel John E. Woodward, Who is recently relieved from duty with the 42nd infantry, has been transferred to Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, where the General Service Schools are located. The Colonel will take the course at the General Staff School.

            Colonel Woodward, who is an old regular Army officer, has served in various capacities here. Last spring he was Commanding Officer of the 152nd Depot Brigade, and last summer he was made Camp Commander, taking the place left vacant by transfer of the late Major General J. Franklin Bell to Governor’s Island. Later the Colonel was transferred to Camp Devens, Mass., where the 12th Division was being mobilized. At that training camp he held the rank of Brigadier General. This division was scheduled to sell for overseas the middle of November, but the signing of the Armistice caused it to remain at Devens.




            Capt. G. C. Graham, who for sometime was in charge of the Discharge Section, under Circular 77, of the Camp Personnel Office at Tower Hill, was recently transferred to the Demobilization Group as Personnel Adjutant. Side serving overseas as Personnel Adjutant of the 308th infantry, 77th Division, for over a year, he has seen service in various parts of this country.




            The initial transfer of Army Field Clerks to another Camp occurred last week when thirty clerks were transferred to Mitchell Field, LI, for duty. The field is close to Camp Mills and is an aviation center. Some of those transferred have been in camp more than a year and were former members of the old Camp Personnel Adjutant’s Detachment.




            The Information Section of the Camp Personnel Office, which had been at 7 Tower Hill, was moved recently to the YMCA hut, near the Camp Upton Terminal.




            Andrew Erhler, chief clerk of the Information Section, is enjoying a well-deserved furlough.

            Otto Schmidt of the Information Section recently returned from a short leave.




            Sgt. Robert V. McCullough, of Motor TransportCo. No. 378, has been promoted to sergeant 1st class. Corporal Donald E King of the same organization has been made Sergeant.




            Irving Epstein is spending a short furlough in his home at Providence.




            Among members of the Field Clerks’ contingent who are devotees of tennis are Loveland, Welch, Bohm and Freund.




            When it comes to handling figures, Julius Kobre, chief clerk of the Report Section, is in a class by himself. Before coming to this camp over a year ago, Mr. Kobre works for the New York State Banking Department. While Julius lives in Brooklyn there in the winter months, he spends his weekend leaves at his bungalow at “Broad Channel.” Mr. Kobre is very fond of yachting on his speedy and comfortable motor boat, the “Regina K.”




            Louis Weisblum, A former member of the Port Distribution Section, is now on duty at the Transfer Center, Demobilization Group. Before coming to Upton, Lou worked among the Bulls and the Bears. Mr. Weisblum, Who is a citizen of Brooklyn, is one of the all-time members of the Camp Personnel Office staff and has been in camp almost a year and a half.




            Leslie Peckham was recently transferred to the Transfer Center. Les, incidentally in life, and habits the thriving little Long Island hamlet of Spring Harbor. As a form of recreation, Mr. Peckham enjoys the distinction of being one of the active members of the local fire department in Spring Harbor.




            Leon R. Dininny, of the Receiving Station, has returned from a short leave. Mr. Dininny formerly worked at old Depot Brigade Headquarters.




            The following promotions have been made in the Motor Transport Co. No. 326:

            To be sergeant 1st class (Truckmaster)—

Serg't. John J. Spearman. To be sergeants—Corp. Robert A. Burns and Pvt. James N. Martin. To be Sergeant (Chief Mechanic)—Pvt. Otto Dennis. To be sergeant (Clerk)—Pvt. Elliot W. Sherman. To be Sergeant (Assistant Truckmaster)—Pvt. Louis E. Silverstone.

            To be corporals (Drivers)—Pvts. Frank E. Barratta, Sylvester Braden, Stacy D. Briston, Robert Caron, Timothy Chauguy, Ralph B. Cook, Henry E. Coon, Charles R. Coulson, Cornelius P. Cronian, Benjamin F. Daniels, Joe DeMedeiros, Harrold Elliott, William Freyman, George L. Gann, George Tracy, Clyde O. Gold, Joseph C. Hill, William T. Johnson, Geo. W. Kelly, Harry Kirby, George W. Marr, Leon Homer Marsh, Ernest R. McCreary, Walter R. Nelson, George A. Smith, Eugene V. Stovall, Ralph Thompson, Columbus D. Ward, Harold Washburn and Jose Vels.

            To be privates 1st class (Assistant Drivers)—Pvts. Marion F. Baugh, John Bielecki, Guiseppe Bruno, William J. B. Davison,  Joseph A. Hegger, James A. Lambros, Edward Purcell, Ben E. Rifen, Felix Schneelock and Doff Wilson.




            Joseph Shulkin, of the Camp Adjutant’s Office, is expected back in camp a day or so after a short furlough.




            Pvts. Otto Meyer, George Holder, Orville A. Judson, Herbert W. Snell, Raleigh A. Kirvon, Raymond T. Wilder, James J. Smith, Earl B. Brizal; Pvts. 1st Class Harley P. Vandyke, Franklin J. Morgan and Thomas Tingtoul, of Motor Transport Co., No. 379 have been made corporals. Pvts. Frank Capozi and Frank Davenport, of the same organization, I have been promoted to private 1st class.



            Sgt. Howard F. Repasz, orderly to the Commanding General, and Sgt. George Miller, of the 1st Detachment, Billeting Center, have completed an ornate pillow top in yellow and black, of silkatine thread against a yellow satin background, with an insert of silk ribbon and a fringe of the same colors.

            The pattern, a series of sixteen large squares divided each into eighty-one small ones, is worked out with square knots, of which there are 7,704 altogether. Repasz refuse $10 for the pillow top. He has made several of them in the eight years he has been in the Army.


Knights of Columbus

            Knights of Columbus activities during the last week came up to the usual standard. The week's bill contained two good headliners, The vaudeville show of Sunday evening and the boxing show on Wednesday.

            Casey lives up to the saying that everything is free and everybody welcome. It certainly does apply to the entertainments now held regularly at the Auditorium on Upton Boulevard. The Sunday Night show begins promptly at eight and the Wednesday night bouts at

 7 o'clock.



            All wrestling and boxing men of the camp are welcome to appear on the ring that has been constructed on the south side of the K. of C. Auditorium. The ring is available at all times.




            Dances are still drawing the usual crowds. They will be kept going until further notice. The 15th St. hut has a dance every Thursday, rain or shine.




            The personnel of the Knights enjoyed a very pleasant evening at the welfare workers’ picnic held at Wading River.


            Two energetic secretaries have left camp for good. They are Secretary Connelly, of Fall River Mass., and Secretary Moriarity, of Holyoke, Mass. Both Young man I to resume their studies, which they had discontinued during the war. We wish them luck and hope that they have all the successes due them in the coming years.




            Moving pictures played an important part of last week's program. Every night there were movies at some one of the buildings.




            The Base Hospital staff met have been busy going through each ward and seeing that all the man at the Base are supplied with cigarettes, matches and whatever comforts they need.




            All Massachusetts men desiring application blanks for the $100 bonus voted by that State can attain them by calling on Secretary Dunn at the K. of C. Headquarters.



Company of Musicians Formed at “Y” Hut 36

            “Y” Hut 36 has the distinction of having its own concert company. The oldest inhabitants will remember that the same hut was furnishing concerts in all the “Y” huts and in the 6th St. Hostess House last winter. Recently the new organization gave a program in 36 for the men of the Forty-second. Later in the same afternoon, the company appeared at Hut 35 for overseas men in the 35 area. On Monday evening following, the company appeared in concert for the Recruitment Educational Center at Hut 34. It was the closing concert for that hut. Two nights later part of the company was at Hut 31. During another week, the organization, in whole or in part, was heard at the Hospital “Y,” at 30, and at 31.

            The company was organized by Miss Belle J. Vickery, who in civilian life is a member of the faculty of Syracuse University. Much of the success of the work of the organization is due to the generous assistance of other musicians who are either permanently connected with the camp or are members of overseas units here for demobilization. A list of those Who have a piano concert at various times during the past two weeks is as follows Miss Belle J. Vickery, soprano, 36 Y. M. C. A.; Miss Ada Howard, soprano, 35 Y. M. C. A.; Private Dettinger, baritone, First Army Corps; Private Barbour, tenor, Demobilization Unit; H. L. Ridenour, basso, 36 Y. M. C. A.; F. D. Penney, violinist, 36 Y. M. C. A.; Private Adams, Liberty Theatre.



Stars Of Sporting World Helped Make Success Of Camp's Athletic History

            Dust, clouds of it! mosquitoes, millions of ‘em, coming in on every train, keeping both Long Island Railroad engines busy all the time. Civilians working on the construction of the barracks, crowds, disorder and discomfort everywhere, that was the atmosphere the first rookies now famous 77th or Metropolitan Division encountered when they came to Upton in those August and September days of 1917.

            And there wasn't a clear a space of ground a foot square outside the barracks. The old “J” section, between Eleventh and Fourteenth Streets on Second Avenue, what is the camp receiving station, and between the periods of close formation drill, shot in the arm and other little formalities of breaking in to the military game, the boys went to work with a will and cleared the stumps from their company streets. Then they began to play with the same spirit that carried them victors through some of the greatest fights in history.

            The Y. M. C. A. was the first organization in the field to meet the recreational needs of the newly inducted men. B. F. Bryant, Camp Athletic Secretary, was on the job to welcome the first men in camp, and was later assisted by a corps of athletic directors as the other areas in camp opened.

                                                     First Athletic Officers

            Major Bigby D. Valliant, later with the 302nd Supply Train, personally assisted Athletic Director Bryant any organization of the first athletic body at Camp Upton, appointing and athletic officer in each company to take care of equipment borrowed from the YMCA, lead the men in games and exercises, and stimulate generally the spirit of sport and company esprit de corps.

            The plan of having an athletic officer for each company was later used when the division proper was formed. Indoor baseball, volleyball, basketball, baseball, soccer, quoits and football were all popular games in an informal way during that first busy, crowded, dusty month, and boxing and wrestling matches were arranged out-of-doors, and later in the first YMCA Huts erected. During this. The YMCA made tremendous efforts to keep a sufficient supply of athletic material on hand, and the New York sporting goods stores were taxed to the limit to supply the demand.

            One Day in early September, 1917, three meandered into camp a dreamy eyed youth, with a mild manner and a particularly winning smile. He stood on the gentle rise later known as Tower Hill and gazed out upon the vast expanses of ground covered with stumps which surrounded him on all sides. The youth was Frank Glick, civilian aide to Major General J. Franklin Bell. Glick what is leader commissioned a captain by the War Department.


                                                      Capt. Glick Comes

            Captain Glick was a wonderful football player, a great all-around athlete, an inspiring instructor, and an ,inspiring leader, but more than anything else he was one of the most lovable fellows it was ever the pleasure of Upton athletes to know. Captain Glick made a pleasure out of business, and his own personal magnetism made it a pleasure for any other man to work with or under him.

            A few weeks after his advent at Upton, Captain Glick had playing spaces cleared in every area in camp, and the Depot Brigadiers in the “J” section, the engineers down near the station, the artillerymen in the “M” station, and the doughboys and machine-gunners in “P” and “R” all were playing baseball and basketball, soccer and football on their own playing fields. The stump-pulling details were about as popular as the needle in those days, but it was the desire to have suitable playing spaces that induced men to work hard and well, and in a short time Upton was an expanse of cleared spaces and burning stumps.

            The pioneer work was done by Athletic Director Bryant and Captain Glick. The late Major General Bell saw the value of organized recreation and ordered the formation of an athletic Council. The following men were appointed as the Official Divisional Council: General George W. Read, chairman; Lieutenant Colonel JJ Boniface, Lieut Col. T. J. Powers, Lieut. Col. J. C. Rhea, Capt. Henry Kempner, Capt. Scully, Lieut. Prentiss, Athletic Director Bryant, and Captain Glick.

            The plan was worked out whereby each unit was to have its own athletic officer, to be in direct supervision of athletic activities, and to have a charge of all recreation and distribution of all Athletics supplies.

                                                      Athletic Supplies

            The Commission on Training Camp Activities rushed qualities of athletic material to the camp, as the regiments of the 77th Division formed, and virtually every company was given a box of material containing full athletic equipment. George T. Hepbron, of Spalding’s New York house, well-known in all athletic circles, on rules committees, etc., personally made a wild trip in a Ford truck through the Yaphank mud on a cold, wet night in early October, to bring out a number of these boxes. He spent his night rolled in a thin blanket on the floor of the first Y. M. C. A. hut constructed, and received his discharge next morning, returning to the city with a clear conscience and a ruined car.

            “It was a dark and stormy night!” That is how many a good story begins, and it certainly was a dark and stormy one when Betty Leonard, world champ, breezed into camp about the middle of October, 1917. Benny was scheduled to box out of doors, but owing to with a bad rainstorm which broke half an hour before the affair was scheduled to begin, the bout was declared off.  Benny had come prepared, however, and his car load of entertainers kept the boys smiling, in one of the YMCA huts. Benny made a neat speech and promised the boys that he would come down again— a promise he more than kept, boxing more free exhibitions for the Uptonians and the boys of the 77th Division than any other boxer that ever came to camp. It was three weeks following his visits that Benny Leonard received his official appointment as boxing instructor for Camp Upton.

                                                      77th Sports

            The beginning of November, 1917, heralded the big program of inter-unit sports of the newly-formed 77th Division. The athletic Council was keeping pep in the athletic program. Captain Glick was working out his inter-unit football and basketball schedule, lining up a football squad to represent the camp against other camps, and organizing classes in boxing and wrestling classes in boxing and wrestling. Benny Leonard was instructing a class of officers, who in turn transmitted the instruction received to their men, thus making good boxers of the men so inclined, and working out, in correlation with the bayonet instructors, A series of exercises helpful in bayonet fighting, while Alan Smith, Jiu-Jitsu expert, later commissioned captain, was giving the boys instruction in the Japanese “art” known in the War Department manuals as hand-to-hand fighting, and Athletic Director Bryant, with a corps of capable assistants, was attending to the athletic wants of each unit, directing company-play and organizing inter-company competitive events. Thus the activities and efforts of all the experts were coordinated to effect the greatest results—so that the 77th Division was a division of soldier athletes when it left Upton for the trenches in France, a fact which contributed greatly to its success and fighting record.

            While the football season was still young the 306th infantry started its inter-company basketball tournament, most of the games being played on the floor of the big YMCA auditorium, newly constructed.

             At the start of the divisional tournament it appeared as though the 302nd Engineers would win the trophy offered by Mrs. Litt to the winners of the football tournament. The 302nd beat everything in sight until that memorable game at Smith's Field , when the doughboys came home victorious.

            In addition to winning the football title, the 306th Infantry proved the best all-around athletic outfit of the division. In the New York  Athletic Club track meet the 306th won with 57 points, The 308th being a good second with 34 points. The individual stars were Arthur Engel, Supply Co., 308th infiltrate, who won the hundred yards – in fast time, and W. Furlong, 308th infantry, who won the cross country event. The winners of the various events were:

            Equipment Race, 150 Yards—Won by Pvt. T. Carroll; Serg't. W. Cote, Hdqs. Co., 304th F. A., second; Pvt. J. Goldman, Co. D, 306th Infantry, third.

            100-Yard Dash—Won by Arthur Engels, Supply Co., 308th Inf.; Private J. Jones, Co. E, 306th Inf., second; Pvt. I. Kahn, Co. E, 306th Infantry, third.

            Hurdle and Obstacle Race, 230 Yards—Won by Pvt. S. Wallace, Battery F, 306th F. A.; J. O’Leary, First Co., Provisional Receiving Btn., second: Pvt. C. A. Huleser, M. G. Co., 306th Infantry, third.

            Medicine Ball Relay Race—Won by Co. L, 306th Infantry; Co. H, 306th infantry, second; Battery F, 306th F. A., third.

            Rescue Race—Won by sergeant and McCroy, Co. E, 308th Inf., Sonnenschein and Kehoe, Co. F, 306th Inf., second; Zeto and Hunt, 306th Inf., third.

            Hand Grenade Contest—Won by Pvt. T. Peterson, Co. K, 306th Inf., Thomas Higgins, Co. A. 307th Inf., second; Pvt. W. G. Upton, o H, 307th Inf., third.

            Flag Race—Won by 308th Inf., 306th Inf., second; 306th F. A., third.

                                                      Cross Country


  1. 1.W. Furlong, 308th Inf………………………….9:22
  2. Harry McGinn, 306th Inf………………………9:27
  3. 3.J. Scarlata, 308th Inf………………………….9:34
  4. 4.M. Dwyer, 306th F. A………………………….9:36
  5. 5.R. Finlayson, 202d Engrs…………………….9:41
  6. 6.J. Warose, 307th Inf…………………………..9:43
  7. 7.R. Johnson, 308th Inf…………………………9:46
  8. 8.E. Kelly, 308th Inf……………………………...9:47
  9. 9.H. Hubbard, Q. M. Corps…………………….9:48
  10. 10. L. Lieberwitz, 304th M. G. Btn…………….…9:52




            The football record of the 306th was noteworthy. In all their games they scored 124 points on their opponents, and only had one touchdown of six points scored against them, and this at the beginning of the season before the lineup was at full strength. “The 305th infantry what is the team to score the only touchdown, but the 306th won the game by a score of 13 to 6. The score in the final game was 7 points to 0 in favor of the 306th, and the lineup was as follows:

306th Inf. (7)                                           302d Engrs. (0)

Burns………………….L. E…………………….Minske

Connors………………L. T…………………Amaducci

Duffy………………….L. G…………………Phillippson


Peterson………………R. G……………………..Glenn

McNally……………….R. T………………………Reich

Thiebald………………R. E…………………Riffsneider

Hayden……………….Q. R…………………Hernandez

Johnson……………..L. H. B…………………….Smith

O’Heire………………R. H. B……………………Royer

Ritter…………………..F. B………………………Toplan

            Substitutes—306th, Coakley, Beach, Kaufman, Brown, Cerrusci, Greenbaum; 302d, Meyers, Salisbury, Mulchan, Gilman, Leeman. Referee—Frank Glick. Umpire—Jimmy Clark. Head Linesman—Lieut. Hess. Timer—Serg't. S. Referee. Attendance—10,000.


                                            Basketball Popular

            Following the football season basketball became popular. They were courts all over the camp. The ten YMCA service huts were converted into  small gymnasiums, and scrub games were played hourly. The spacious auditorium and the K. of C. auditorium are the favorite places for the big games, and the division championship schedule arranged by Captain Glick and Mr. Bryant called for most of the games to be played on these two floors, the biggest indoor playing spaces in camp. Boxing also went strong in the inter-regimental championships to decide contestants for the divisional titles. The engineers had great competition in their inter- company basketball tournament, won by company Co. A which team outplayed Co. E in the final game, winning by a score of 18 to 6. The lineup is as follows:


Co. A. 302d Engrs. (18)                   Co. E. 302d Engrs. (6)






            Substitutes—Co. E, Follis, guard; Dickerman, forward.



Education Center Wins Dual Track Meet

            The Recruit Educational Center defeated the Motor Transport Corps, 66 to 16, in a recent dual track meet held at the old Depot Brigade Athletic Field.

            Risener was the individual star of the field day. He won first in the 50, 100 and 220-yard dashes and was awarded a high point medal for his total of 15. Rock, however, did nearly as well, with 14 points. Clements was third, with 10 points.

            Following the meet, a baseball game was played between the Camp Upton team and the Motor Transport Corps, the latter losing, 16 to 0. The batteries were: Camp Upton, Goodman and Woods; Motor Transport, Martin and Wickert.

            Another big meet is being planned, the details of which will be announced later in Trench and Camp.

            The summaries:

            50 YARDS DASH, FINALS—First, Risener; second, Clements; third, Rock.

            100 YARDS DASH, FINALS—First, Risener; second, Clements; third, LeMar.

            220 YARDS DASH, FINALS—First, Risener; second, Rock; third, Shwarmborn.

            440 YARDS DASH, FINALS—First, Shwarmborn ; second, Wydyzymake; third, King.

            POTATO RACE—First, Fletcher; second, LeMar; third, McCullough.

            SHOT PUT—First, Rock; second, Clements; third, Simpson. Distance, 39 ft. 9 in.

            HIGH JUMP, FINALS—First, McAllister; second, Mann; third, Crissey. Height, 4 ft. 11 in.

            RUNNING BROAD JUMP, FINALS—First, Rock; second, Pritchard; third, Clements.                   Distance 18 ft. 5 in.

            RELAY RACE, 880 YARDS—Won by Recruit Educational Center Team (Clements, Rock,             LeMar, Shwarmborn).

            TUG OF WAR—Won by Recruit Educational Center Team (Lane, Metzger, Crugh,                       Swanson, Hegger, Simpson, McCullough, O’Neil, Misamore).

            OFFICIALS: Referee—Lieut. MacNelly; clerk of course—W. Gumb; assistant clerks—C.                         B. Phetteplace, F. C. Beebe; starter— Mike Ryan; judges—Reich, Cassidy, HamIlton.


A cup was presented to the winners by Col. C. O. Shrill, Capt. H. B. Perhee accepting same for his company.




            According to the terms of a contract announced by the music department of the YMCA, musical instruments furnished entertainment units playing in the Third Army area near Coblenz, may be brought back to the United States provided they are used for entertainment purposes and route home. This means that approximately 3,000 violins, banjos, cornets, ukuleles and drums will become property of the doughboys.

            Soldiers now using these instruments must agree on returning to do their part toward entertaining the troops in the embarkation area, on the boat and at the demobilization camps. They are forbidden to sell them, and in case they desire to dispose of them after reaching home, instructions have been given to return them to the local YMCA where they are stationed.

            For several months the “Y” took over the total output of two German factories located at Saxony and Mainz. About 150 complete orchestras were equipped and 100 received supplies. Over 200 soldiers’ shows were given instruments, and fully 3,000 were distributed among doughboys here.

            Music has been furnished in unlimited quantities throughout the area. Charts for mass singing have been provided and a campaign for the encouragement and promotion of singing as a past time has been carried on.

            A close alliance has been maintained with the religious work and educational departments, with the former by arranging and furnishing talent for religious services; with the latter by proposing and equipping with musical instruments the YMCA army music school.



            The War Department authorities’ publication of the following information:

            In connection with Circular 187, War Department, 1919:

            The Silver Victory Button for wounds received in action will be issued only upon the evidence of such wound or wounds as shown on the discharge certificates of enlisted men or a certificate of discharge of officers.

            Where no such evidence is shown on discharge certificate or where no such certificate has been issued two officers and wound or wounds alleged, a letter giving all facts in the case should be forwarded to the Adjutant General’s office by applicant for corroboration, in accordance with facts as shown by the official records on file in that office.


Favors Land For Soldiers

            The establishment of soldiers community settlements through reclamation of cutover timberlands and wetlands of the Southern States, irrigation of air and lands in the West and development of other unutilized lands throughout the country, as contemplated in the Mondell Bill, is endorsed by the American Legion. At a joint meeting in New York of the executive committee of the Paris and St. Louis carcasses of the American Legion the Mondell bill was approved in principle.

            By authority of the New York meeting legislative representatives of the American Legion are in Washington to do what they can to further the enactment of the legislation. The representatives are Colonel Luke Lea; formerly United States senator from Tennessee, and T. W. Miller, of the ordinance department, formally a member of the House of Representatives from Delaware.

            It is authoritatively stated that the American Legion is opposed to all propositions for a cash bonus to soldiers.

            A former first lieutenant in the Intelligence Department invites attention to a plan underway whereby officers and men discharged from the service are given an opportunity to secure a homestead in Wyoming, and combining with others to conduct a ranch on a large scale.

            A number of discharge soldiers and sailors have already taken out homesteads in Wyoming. The government allows 640 acres of good grazing land, allowing time off for that spent in the army up to two years. Among these men a company is being organized and the company contemplates leasing the various homesteads, making improvements thereon and offering each homesteader employment, there by assisting them in proving up on their claims. It is propose to conduct this ranch, which will be known as the Military Live Stock Company, in the most up-to-date and scientific manner, adopting many of the good points learned in the Army and Navy.

            The organizers are anxious to get in touch with as many men as possible who might be interested. They say they are sure they can locate quite a number of homesteaders in Wyoming and men leaving the service as well as those who remain in the regular army are invited to get in touch with former Lieutenant Louis Tyroler, Gillette, Wyoming, with this end in view. The service and advice are the disposal of such men without cost to them.



            Organization of the extra cavalry division provided for in the War Department plans for the National Guard will be pushed vigorously. There is no anticipation that the 16 divisions of infantry, corresponding to the world organization of the state forces, will be completed this year, but efforts will be made to get the cavalry unit, six regiments of which will be raised in Texas, and condition to be mobilized against any emergency.

            The infantry division's will be out numbered 51 to 66, inclusive, instead of 26 to 42, as during the war. The numbers up to and including 50 are reserved for regular army divisions, most of which would be created only in the event of war. Plans for the regular organization called for a cavalry division recruited found the entire country, but also stationed in Texas.

            Guard units already have been organized in several states. It was recently announced at the War Department that Federal recognition have been extended to some of these, including New Jersey, six companies infantry, one machine gun company and one headquarters; New York, seven companies infantry, one true cavalry and one company coast artillery; Ohio, four companies infantry; California, six companies infantry, and South Carolina, one battalion infantry.



“Come Clean” Film To Boost Oral Hygiene

            The War Department authorizes the following statement from the Office of the Surgeon General:

            “Come Clean,” A three and one-half reel picture designed to teach oral hygiene, will shortly be produced for the benefit of the Army by the Army Medical Museum. The picture was made under the supervision of Major Leonard G. Mitchell, D. C., and is the outgrowth of oral hygiene lectures delivered two officers and men.

            Private Tom Merrill, as the center of the picture, is being ridiculed for brushing his teeth. Some of his buddies hide his brush and a fistic encounter ensues afterwords Tom explains why he takes good care of his teeth. Views of several wards at Walter Reed Hospital near Washington, D. C., are shown, including cases of diseases, with complications, growing out of the neglect of teeth. The picture then takes up the scientific part, showing why and how infection from pyorrhea and abscessed teeth, reaches different parts of the body, producing various diseases, the infection being shown on its way by the use of animated drawings.


Plans for Big Sport Program Are Under Way

            In order to encourage athletics, the camp authorities are planning a varied and elaborate sports program. There will be boxing for cash prizes at the Buffalo Theatre, now ideally equipped for a big fistic tournaments; tennis tournament will be held for officers, field clerks and enlisted men, and a camp golf team is to be formed to meet Camp Mills. Inter-organization baseball is to be particularly encouraged.

            An ample supply of athletic equipment is available and may be had by athletic officers.

            An outline of these plans is contained in the following memorandum published by Camp Headquarters:


            1. All organization commanders are directed to send all available men desiring instructions in boxing to the Brigade Athletic Field daily at 2:30 o’clock P. M. Mr. Al Reich, Boxing Instructor, will be on hand to take charge of this class.

            2. It is requested that special interest be taken in boxing, and as many men as can be spared will be detailed for above instruction.

            3. A series of bouts will be held at the Buffalo Theatre in the near future between representatives of the different organizations in this camp. Cash prizes will be awarded to both winner and a loser.



            A number of catchers’ mitts and basemen’s and fielders’ gloves are now in stock at the warehouse and available for issue. Responsible athletic officers of the different organizations may draw same on memorandum receipt upon application to the Camp Athletic Director, 1722 Lincoln Ave., corner 18th St., between 1 o’clock and 3 o’clock P. M. daily.



            Tennis tournaments for officers, field clerks and enlisted men will be scheduled as soon as a sufficient number of entries are made to the Athletic Instructor, Mike Ryan, at 1733 Lincoln Ave. Name, rank and organization will be submitted by each officer, field clerk and enlisted man wishing to take part in the tournament. Special prizes will be awarded to the winners in each tournament.



            Camp Mills had challenged Camp Upton for a Team Golf Tournament. Officers, field clerks and enlisted men desiring to qualify for the Camp Upton team are requested to hand in their names at once to Mr. Ryan, Athletic Instructor, 1722 Lincoln Ave., giving rank and organization. Golf clubs and balls will be issued by the Athletic Director upon with requisition and receipt for same by the responsible athletic officer of each organization.


Motor Transport Members Entertained at ‘Y’ Hut 31

            The officers of the Motor Transport Corps and the “Y” secretaries of Hut 31 gave a party to the boys of the M. T. C. and their friends recently, Capt. Cronkhite expressed on behalf of the members of the corps his appreciation to Mr. Morse and the staff for the enjoyable evening.

            A wrestling bout between Burke and Gauette was first on the program. Miss Vickory, of “Y” 36, sang: Mr. McDonald, of the Station “Y,” gave a concert solo. A splendid act from the Liberty Theater and Mother Davidson’s party delighted the audience.

            Then a boxing bout between Soldier Jackson and Risener was given and the program closed with a good two-reel comedy. Lemonade, ice cream, cake, cigars and cigarettes were passed out freely.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2021 Manitowoc Public School District