Feb. 4, 1918


Feb 4, Vol. 2 #18


59th C.A. Is First Outfit From Fighting


          The arrival of the 59th Coast Artillery regiment in camp recently marked a new epoch, so to speak, in the ever-varying annals of this outpost. The organization, which included the old 13th Coast Artillery of Brooklyn came here directly from the piers. The first organization to arrive, 345th Infantry, came after a period at Merritt. With the salt water still in their nostrils and the tumult of a riotous welcome from New York in their ears, the 59th veterans came directly from the pier. One evening, with a bitter northeaster blowing, they stepped from the trains at the Terminal, full packs slung and eager to learn about the camp to which they'd come as the last in their military experience.

          It was considerable experience, too. They did very little in their nine months in France except fight, and their big eight-inch howitzers- the little pea-shooters from which a two-hundred pound shell was wafted Fritzward, wreaked some damage to objectives. They helped out the 77th Division, among other doughboy outfits, giving shell protection during the gigantic Meuse-Argonne operations. The Sunday after their arrival a thousand or more friends and relatives came down from New York to greet them, fete them and hear their stories and see the trophies they’d brought back. Helmets, German weapons-guns, bayonets and others-bits of shell, buttons from Hun uniforms, German propaganda which had been scattered from airplanes, and many other souvenirs were displayed. Every man had his own little collection.

          The organization was mustered out beginning Thursday, and by now every man, except a hundred and fifty who had enlisted for seven years in the regulars are at or on their way to their homes. While here, the 59th was quartered in old artillery barracks at 16th Street between Fourth and Fifth Avenues.

          Following is a copy of one of the citations of which the regiment was it justly proud:




          France, November 20, 1918

General Order

   No. 26


IV. The following citations are announced:   The 59th Regiment, C. A. C. While under the command of the 5th Army Corps, during the Meuse-Argonne Operations, the entire regiment worked in close cooperation with the Divisional Artilleries, delivery effective destructive fire on Landers St. George and La Dhuy Farm.

                         C. P. SUMMERALL

                         Maj. Gen. Commanding






Page The Gent Who Invented Mechanics!

          Whoever invented The company mechanic anyway?  Take mechanic Samuel Potasnick of the 15th Co., for example. The only time Potasnick comes to life, except when Bugler Silverman sounds mess call, is when he brings out his well-known and famous horseshoe, which he was once discovered wearing as a necklace.

          Poor Sam needs that horseshoe sometimes because he has his troubles the same as the rest of the boys. Between Cook Bayer knocking him about his discharge, Serg’t Rudinger trying to keep him from becoming altogether discouraged, and 1st Serg’t Webb trying to get him to do a little work for a change, Sam has all he can do to keep from going on pass.

          Speaking of passes, Serg’t Mayorkas, the company clerk, has never known what it was to have a mechanic in the company apply for a pass. He expects that someday Potasnick will snap out of it long enough to know that even a mechanic can have a pass once in a while.


Camp Sterilizer Begins To Turn Out 200 An Hour


          Upton’s equipment was completed last week when for the first time the sterilization plant which has been under construction for some time was turned over to the authorities by the contractors.  The plant was finished in time to be used on the troops of the 59th C. A. C., The first complete unit to come to this camp from abroad for demobilization.

          To a representative of Trench and Camp Capt. Priest explained the process under which the returning troops will be cleansed soon after they come here from the ships. Groups of 200 men can be handled every hour. On arrival at the plant they receive a barracks bag, and a check with a corresponding number. In an adjoining room they disrobe and pack their clothing in the bag, which they then turn over to one of the attendants. Next they are examined by a physician and then they proceed to the wash room where they are sprayed with a disinfectant. The room contains fifty-seven needle showers and after taking a vigorous scrub the men go into the drying room, where they receive a large bath towel and a bath robe. By the time they have finished drying their clothing has passed through the cleansing process which consists of placing the barrack bags in a large boiler and passing steam at 230 degrees Fahrenheit through them. This lasts for two minutes, when vacuum tubes are brought into play, and in fifteen minutes more the clothes are thoroughly dried and ready to be worn again.

          Capt. Priest hopes to secure the cooperation of the Government so that he may use the laundry for pressing the uniforms while the men are undergoing the cleansing process. With a detail of about 150 men he claims he can turn out two hundred soldiers every hour, and when they emerge from the plant their uniforms will look like new.

          Within a week another sterilizer is expected here which will be capable of handling from 260 to 300 men every hour.


Uptown Mittmen Vanquish Mill Team In First Inter-Camp Boxing Series

           “The best boxing Upton ever had” was the verdict on the boxing show under the supervision of Lt. James E. Abbott, at the Liberty Theater last week. The crowd was pleased to a man, and the decisions all were good ones, the final bout between Ted (Kid) Lewis, world’s welterweight champion, and Kid Carters, contender for the title, bringing them all up on their toes.  Capt. Rice, ex-heavyweight champion of the South, who has just returned from France with the 345th Infantry, acted as referee, two judges assisting.

          The first bout was between Butler, Utilities, Camp Mills, and the favorite, Tootsie O’Toole, the Depot Brigade. Both men weighed 115 pounds and were evenly matched.  Butler forced O’Toole through the ropes several times, but the little Irishman came back strong with a straight left to the head, and a right hook to the body.  O’Toole began to show to advantage in the third round when he walloped his man all over the rain, using a left uppercut to the body and wicked write her over the head to the advantage. The end of the round saw Butler staggering back from a well-timed left hook. O’Toole One is their decision on the last round, the first two rounds being even.

          At the 125 pounds weight Young Marino, the fast little Medical Detachment boxer, outfought Otto, late American champion of the Orient. The first round was even, Marino landing some pretty hooks and Otto fighting prettily, using s straight left to advantage. Marino began to land some telling punches on the body and head in the second round, and left no doubt over the decision in the third round, when his straight left to the head, and hooks to body and head gained him the verdict. The judges disagreed and the referee gave the decision.

          The fight between Rosenbloom, Camp Utilities, Upton, and Douglas, 13th Infantry, at 140 pounds, was one of the most exciting of the evening. Douglas was a typical bruiser, outweighing Rosenbloom, and landed some telling punches in the first round. Rosenbloom beat him in the next two rounds by out-boxing him, and when Douglas began to miss his wild swings, Rosenbloom got in some telling work with a fast left jab, and a well-timed right cross, Rosenbloom  finished fresh, but Douglas was hardly able to stand, going down for a count of seven in the last round.  Rosenbloom easily won the verdict.

          Weismier put up a hard fight at 160 pounds against Shuck, of the 13th Infantry. Shuck went down for the count of nine, and again for the count of seven in the first round when Weismier got in under his straight left, and landed heavily on the body with a left and right hook. In the second round, Shuck kept out of danger with clever footwork, and shaded his opponent. The third round was even, both men bleeding profusely after an exchange of hooks to the head. In the fourth Shuck went to pieces under Weismier’s whirlwind attack, and went down several times with hooks on the body and head. Weismier took the verdict on the extra round.

          Birnbaum, Orthopedic Clinic, and Burns, Depot Brigade, fought a spirited bout for four rounds. Burns featured with his bounce off the ropes, but Birnbaum won the decision, although the bout was very even. Ted (Kid) Lewis, world’s welterweight champion, showed real championship class when he danced his way through six rounds with Kid Carter of New York. Carter was a good fighter, but is hardly Lewis’ class. 

          Mike Ryan was the time-keeper. The judges were Capt. J. P. Booth, Upton athletic officer, and Lt. Brown, of Camp Mills.

Gen. Nicholson was present, also Col. Osmun Latrobe and Lt. Col. James E. Abbott. In the ringside seats were a delegation from the Base Hospital, including Majors Held, Wheaton, Osborne and Lyon.



           After- theater refreshments were served last week at the cafeteria of Hostess House “A,” 6th Street and 3rd Avenue. Many soldiers who had spent an evening at the Liberty, one of the “movie” theaters or the welfare huts, dropped in for coffee, cake and other goodies.

          The idea was a new one in the camp, because heretofore it has been impossible to have a late supper. It was planned to test out the popularity of the scheme and then to have the Hostess House and the Visitors’ House open their cafeteria on alternate weeks.





          Col.  Theodore Roosevelt’s death made impossible the scheme of Lieutenant W. W. Tanner, of Pittsburgh, an aviator, to deliver to the one-time president a picture postal which was circulated widely in war-time Germany, showing the body of his youngest son, Lieut. Quentin Roosevelt, lying face upward beside his shattered biplane. The photograph evidently was staged for propaganda purposes by Boche photographers and spread broadcast through Germany by the Kaiser’s military authorities to show the people convincing proof of the death of one of Mr. Roosevelt’s warrior sons, a typical piece of Boche propaganda.




          A girl was reading a letter to her chum  on the street car.  At the second page she stopped and said:  “Will says that if the cold weather continues he is going to put on his O. D.’s. I am so curious to know what they are, but I haven't the courage to write and ask him.”




Go To Officers With Grouches New Commander Tells Soldiers

          Brig. Gen. William J. Nicholson, the new camp commander, spoke on “A Square Deal for Every Soldier” at “Y” Hut 34, 14th Street and 5th Avenue, recently.

          He said that he proposed to make the military duties to be performed in camp as pleasant as the nature of the duties would permit.

          “I expect you to be soldiers just as long as you wear the uniform,” he continued, “no matter whether you are in this Camp, in New York or anywhere else. And what constitutes a soldier? He is a gentleman first. He is amenable to discipline; and we want to discipline because discipline means teamwork.”

           The General pointed out that the men coming back do not look down upon the men over here; they realize, he said, just as he did when he was over that without the forces in this country the war could never have been won.

          He asked the men to feel that their Commanding Officer sympathized with them, and if they had at any time a “grouch” they thought was just, to come to him and talk it over.

          Mentioning that he had heard of some men having written anonymous complaints, he said that it was the lowest and most cowardly form of action that a soldier can be guilty of- like stabbing a man in the back.

          He also spoke on the mutual obligation of men and officers to salute as one of the distinguishing courtesies of the military profession.

          Later on the same evening, in saying a few words at the boxing tournament in the “Y” Auditorium, he defined his attitude on sports:

          “When it comes down to straight, good sport, “ he said, “I am with you and back of you all the time.”


 Old 307th Man Here 17 Months

(By SERG’T L. C. Kellogg, Personnel Detachment)

          Serg’t Bernard Schulhaus return to camp recently with the dust of Broadway still fresh on his uniform. Bernard is very fond of the “Great White Way” and all that goes with it, such as cabarets, late suppers, etc.  of course, it goes without saying that seldom, if ever, the sergeant is unaccompanied. This tends to make his visits to the Metropolis’ famous district much more interesting, as there is nothing like companionship, especially of the right kind, to insure enjoyable evening. Leading a quiet life most of the time of late, our Camp Upton representative is usually found surrounded by a bevy of friends, mostly of the “Broadway chicken type.”  It goes without saying that the sergeant is well able to do his share of the entertaining.  ‘Atta boy, Schulhaus, keep up the good work!

          After being in camp almost 17 months, Sergeant John R. McGrath is it receive his discharge.  The sergeant was a member of the old 307th Inf., Co. K, coming down to this cantonment with the first batch of drafted men from dear old Brooklyn.  For over a year John has worked in various departments of the Camp Personnel Office. Before entering Uncle Sam’s service the Sergeant was employed by the Brooklyn Edison Co. and is well known in club and social circles in the City of the Churches.

          When it comes to playing social pinochle, Pvt. Snell is in a class by himself. This well known private can always be depended upon to bid 290 and in the barracks, where he bunks, his friends have termed him the “290 king.”  He seldom goes above this Mark, whether he has a good handle it or not. Nothing like being safe- hey Snell?

          Have you seen Private Edwin Hock- Buffalo’s 210-pound fat boy, with his winter hat on?    This heavy sky-piece, which was issued to Hock about a year ago, gives the Buffalonian a very rakish look, and from the initial glance one would think he had just arrived from Over There.

          With the addition of Lieut. J. A. Kiley has been in this camp some time. He is a graduate of the Officers’ Training School at Camp Lee, Va.  He was formerly with the 25th Co., 7th Battalion, and saw service on the Mexican Border.

          The position of 1st Sergeant has been filled by the appointment of Serg’t George A. Fischer. The detachment is perhaps the only one in camp that can boast of having a Sergeant Major as 1st Sergeant. Serg’t Maj. Fischer was formerly with the 7th Battalion. As assistants Serg’t Fischer has Serg’t Stidd and Serg’t Hawrey. Serg’t Hawrey was formerly a member of the 17th Co.

          Serg’ Henry Borst, of the Detachment, is receiving the congratulations of friends on his recent promotion. Henry came to this camp last Spring, and since then has been in the office of the Camp Commander as stenographer. Before entering the Service the Sergeant was employed by the City of New York.



          A number of men about to be mustered out learned some valuable things about farming opportunities last Wednesday in the Y. M. C. A. Auditorium. H. L. Fullerton, manager of the Long Island Agricultural Experiment Station, was the speaker. Mrs. Fullerton and Miss Hope Fullerton added to the interest by telling some of the things a woman may gain from the farm.



42nd Infantry News

Representative Chauncey H. DERRICK

          Chaplain Leach has been transferred to Reconstruction Hospital No. 3, situated at Colony, N. J., where he will resume his duties as Chaplain.

          Apply at the Camp Library for good books. From love stories to books of thrilling adventure in the world’s great war these books can be taken out by signing your name on the piece of cardboard that has been supplied with the book and presenting the same at the desk.

          The 42nd is sorry to hear that Maj. Yancey has been sick and looks forward to his speedy recovery.

          About thirty of our officers have been discharged and the good wishes of every man in the 42nd goes with them.

          The 42nd has some very good basketball teams, ready to challenge any team in the camp.



Bring Back Subway Sign Which Helped Over There

          Pvt. J. Cameron, 653 Greene Avenue, Brooklyn, has a little surprise ready for the

B. R. T. which will probably solve many knotty problems for that well-known railway system. He was a motorman before going abroad with the 59th C. A. C. When the regiment was on its way to port of embarkation in March, Cameron lifted from one of the cars a sign reading, “Canal and Chambers Streets.” The sign went with the outfit. Every time the battery would establish a position it was stuck up in plain view, pointing toward Fritz. Cameron is going to return it to the B. R. T. and thank them for this part they had in winning the war.



          Sergeant J. G. Barrows, 32 years old, of the 317th Infantry, who lives at 17 Livingston Place, New York City, with his parents, is awaiting his discharge in the Overseas Convalescent Battalion.

          He fought and was wounded in the Albert Sector, where the Americans and the Anzacs fought side by side. “The Australians were the greatest chaps in the world,” he said.  “They would sooner fight than eat,” and then he goes on to tell of a little experience.

          While acting as platoon sergeant,  a lieutenant of the Anzacs came over to give him some instructions about the terrain he was to work in. While talking, the lieutenant was hit by a piece of shrapnel, but continued giving instructions while bandaging a badly lacerated hand with some material from his first-aid kit.

          This is just one of the many little incidents that Sergeant Barrows tells in illustrating the bravery of the men from under the Southern Cross.

          Sergeant Barrows has submitted some very good verse to Trench and Camp. It was written by him in the trenches, and will be published when space permits.



Had Faced Gas, Smoke Brought No Terrors

          “Go on with the show!” If we could stand gas Over There, a little smoke won't bother us!”

          And four hundred wounded men, many of them unable to walk, who were watching a performance in the Red Cross Convalescent House, stuck to their seats, although smoke was pouring up near the stage from the basement and it was generally understood that the fire was under way.  One of the entertainers, in the same “let-the-show-go-on” mood as the spectators, sat down at the piano, played “Smiles” and jollity was unconfined.

          There was a fire, though, and a real one. The smoke gave the first warnings. Two strong men were sent by a nurse to investigate in the basement and found a packing box ablaze. It was dragged into the open before the building could catch fire.

          And the show went on, with only a few minutes interruption.




          The 378th and 379th Motor Truck Companies, commanded by Capt. Cronkhite, entertained more convalescent soldiers last Sunday. The parties are becoming almost weekly affairs in the barracks of the Motor Truck boys.



Cook Needed No Turner;

          Guns Flopped Pancakes

          Many are the yarns going the rounds these days when overseas men pour into camp fresh from the firing line. The 59th tells a story of how one of their cooks found heavy artillery fire a great boon to pancake baking. His kitchen was in a dugout just under one of the emplacements where a big eight-inch howitzer was booming periodically. The vibration was so great with each discharge of the gun that Cookie found no pancake turner was necessary. The cakes hopped about on the griddle nicely, giving first one side to the heat and then the other. Housewives will probably take advantage of this hint.




Sick-A-Bes Is A Liberty Offering

          Ethel Watts Mumford’s new farcical comedy, “Sick-a-Bed” will be the attraction at the Liberty Theatre Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, February 3, 4 and 5.

          The play is full of action and tells an amusing story of how a dashing young explorer returns from Africa to find his aunt suing his uncle for divorce and himself eagerly awaited as the only available witness , who can swear to the defendant’s philandering activities in Spain.  Now, the Young explorer has himself been indulging in a little flirtation with Auntie, who is very much younger than Uncle, and he fears that if she is once free he may have to marry her.  So to avoid going on the witness stand he readily consents to pretend to be ill- (Sick-a-Bed). And then the play goes on to relate how he falls in love with his pretty nurse, and she with him, and how Aunt and Uncle are finally reconciled, and, of course, it all ends happily, as every well-written comedy should. 

          The cast includes Chester Clute, Kathleen G. McLain, Olga Lee, Rhea Vanola, James A. Bliss, Wilbur De Rouge, George Burton, Thomas Meegan and others.  —Advertisement



          The Jewish Welfare Board is doing its bit to keep up the morale of the soldier in camp who is waiting with more or less time on his hands for his discharge.

          Last Wednesday, several hundred buddies had a most entertaining time at one of the regular entertainments.

          Mr. Rosenfeld sang comic songs and then told jokes, Mr. Romanescu entertained the boys with wonderful impersonations in Jewish, English and French, and Mr. Birnberg also gave the boys songs. Miss Friedman was the pianist and Rabbi David Aronson officiated as chairman.

          Religious services are held weekly, Friday evenings at 6:45 in the Jewish Welfare Building. Arrangements have been made to have one of New York’s leading Rabbis preach the sermon every second Friday evening beginning January 31.

          in addition to the regular Wednesday evening Yiddish entertainment, a Thursday Evening English Vaudeville and Sunday afternoon concert will be given.

          Of course, you need not be reminded of the Patchogue dances every Saturday and Sunday evenings.



          The Camp Personnel Adjutant’s Detachment moved last week from the barracks at 12th Street and 3rd Avenue, which it has occupied for several months, to 8th Street and 4th Avenue.   In their new quarters the men, who work in various departments of the Camp Personnel Office are considerably nearer their offices and also the station and places of amusement.




          It looks as if a lot of winter baseball would be spilled over the diamonds laid in France and England for the American fighting men who must remain overseas for many months. A trifling shipment of 36,960 baseballs, 2,880 bats, 10,260 gloves of various kinds, 3,131 mitts, a hundred sets of bases, 266 masks, 951 protectors, 5,000 score cards and 1,088 books of rules were sent overseas in November by the Y. M. C. A.  There were thirty-four different items in the entire shipment of athletic goods, which cost $173,334.61. 

          The sports department is one of the branches of the “Y” work overseas that is to be increased greatly during the period of occupation and demobilization. Military authorities are unanimous in their praise of the value of sports in the training of an army to do a big job and in keeping the army in trim after the big job is done. Men are now being trained at Springfield Y. M. C. A. College to go overseas and extend the work beyond its already comprehensive programme.

          The variety of sports that are encouraged among the soldiers is indicated by the shipment of thousands of basketballs, boxing gloves, cage balls, footballs, tennis equipment, quoits, tug-of-war ropes, volley balls, wrestling mats, medicine balls, playground balls and the like.  One item on the list was 600 pumps with which to blow up the balls used in kicking games.



First Floor Contest Played Out-of-Town

          The first out-of-camp basketball game was played at Sayville, the strong Utilities five meeting the Sayville Radios, beating them by a score of 22 to 14. The star of the game was Cohen, the right forward of the Upton team, who scored six baskets from the field. The Sayville boys played hard, but they had not the teamwork of their opponents, and were a little loose in shooting.

          The game was arranged by Capt. Booth. Lieut. Col. Abbott accompanied the boys to the game. Line-up:

Utilities (22)                      Sayville Radios (14)

Bernstein…………………L.F. ………McEnrie

Cohen…………………….R.F. ………..Buys

Lindgren………………….C. ………….Sawyer

Horowitz………………….L.G. ……….Markward

Monaghan………………..R.G. ………..Ryther


Referee:    Schultz.    Goals from field: Cohen, 6; Bernstein, 2; Lindgren, 2; Horowitz, McEnrie, 3 each; Buys, 2; Sawyer, 2.  Timekeeper: Mike Ryan.   Scorekeeper: Serg’t Taussig, Utilities.




Chess Tourney Reveals Some Great Talent

          The J. W. B. Chess Tournament started on January 23, with sixteen players. Charles Jaffe, a chess player of international reputation, opened the tournament and refereed the first game.

          Mr. Jaffe, who is the chess editor of the Jewish newspaper, “The Day.”  Represented America at Carlsbad in the International Tournament of 1911 and won the first prize in the Rabid Transit Tournament in New York several weeks ago. He played against ten players simultaneously, in all about 16 games, of which about 8 were chess and the others checkers. Of the chess games, he won all but one, which he drew against Corp’l Ash, of the Personnel Adjutant’s Detachment and Prt. Mehr, the latter two having played him together. Mr. Jaffe lost two checker games, drew two and won four. Mr. Jaffe plays a careful game of checkers, but is almost invincible at chess.

          The chess contest is being hotly contested, the leaders at present being as follows: Corp’l Ash, of the Camp Personnel Adjutant’s Detachment, out of 12 games played, won 11 and drew 1. He therefore comes first up to date with a total of 11 1/2 points.  Private Mason, of Headquarters Company, 42nd Infantry, has a score of 7 1/2 points out of 8 games, and Pvt. Mehr, Camp Medical Detachment, won 6 games out of 7. Pvt. Hurley, of the Camp Personnel Adjutant’s Detachment, follows close on the heels of Pvt. Mehr with 5 games out of 6.




          The scrubs were defeated by the Greaseballs to a tune of 13 to 12 at the Base Hospital “Y.”  The scrubs played better team-work and deserved to win. Mahoney, Rice and Riff played well, and Beaty was unlucky on the baskets. Serg't Cleary is a hard player, and should qualify on any football team.




          A dance for convalescent overseas men was given in the Red Cross Convalescent Building at the Base Hospital last Thursday. It was the first real dance many of the boys had enjoyed since they went across. They showed the keenest appreciation and even the most severely wounded boys forgot their injuries for the time being.

          Through the efforts of Capt. Donohue, the Camp Morale Officer, sixty girls from Patchogue attended the dance and were taken home afterwards in autos. 




Fans Get Good Exhibition From Boxing Semi-Finals

          In the semi-finals of the camp boxing tournament at the Y. M. C. A. Auditorium there were several good bouts, and the crowded house was in a state of excitement from the start. The first bout was one of the best of the evening—a fight from the go. The decision was well earned by Feiney.

          The contestants in this bout were Feiney, Co. E, 42nd Infantry, and Rubens, 1st Co. 152nd Depot Brigade, both weighing 115 pounds. Feiney started well, leading with the left to the head, and following with a fast left and right hook to the body. In the second round Rubens began to make a better showing, and went after his man in good style, scoring with a straight left to the jaw and hooking over a wicked right several times. Feiney began to show his superiority in the fourth round when he landed a right uppercut and drove Rubens twice into his corner with a volley of hooks to the body and head. Rubens started strong and rallied in the fifth, but there was no doubt about the decision in the last round, when Feiney hit his man at will, forcing him to the ropes three times, and winning on points.

          Hogan and Eaton, both of the Utilities, put up a rather fantastic expedition in the 135-pound class. There was a lot of wild hitting, and the exchanges were even for the first two rounds. In the third round a tap on the chin put Eaton down, and he stayed down for the count. Hogan won on a knock-out.

          Birnbaum, Orthopedic Clinic, and Rosenbloom, the Utilities, fought a spirited bout. The first round was slightly in favor of Rosenbloom, who countered cleverly. The second was slower, with Birnbaum evening it up. In the third and the fourth the men broke even, Birnbaum landing several good right and left hooks to the head, and Rosenbloom getting in a left uppercut at short range, and landing with left jabs and a strong right hook to the body.  The fifth round was replete with heavy wallops, both men giving and taking in an effort to win a K. O. Birnbaum landing on the head and Rosenbloom on the body. In the sixth, Rosenbloom was kept busy dodging Birnbaum’s attack. Birnbaum landed with a quick left hook and right cross to the head, but Rosenbloom evened things up by a strong finish, landing several hooks to the ribs, and hooking over a hard right to the head.

          The judges disagreed, and Referee Ted (Kid) Lewis gave the decision to Rosenbloom. Both the boys fought well, and it would take a longer bout than six rounds to find a real decision between them. Birnbaum lands on the head and fights at long range, while Rosenbloom fights for the body and is a good in-fighter.

          Mallin, Medical Detachment, and Weismier, Utilities, met at 160 pounds. Mallin was a disappointment to the boys from the base. He outfought his man for three rounds, hitting him several times with a left to the body and a right across to the head. Weismier landed a couple of hooks and when he began to force the fighting in the fourth round Mallin seemed to go weak. In the fifth round Lewis gave the fight to Weismier. Mallin was obviously out of condition and collapsed, falling several times in the clinches.

          Pokelo, 16th Co., Depot Brigade, and Bell, Utilities, fought in the 135-pound class. The first round was even, both men landing. Bell blocked cleverly, and Pokelo did most of the leading. In the second round Bell started with a whirlwind attack, but Pokelo’s footwork saved him, and in the final stages of the round he came back jabbing Bell into a corner, where he planted three right hooks in succession to the jaw. Bell went down, and the whistle saved him, but he was unable to come up at the bell, and Pokelo was awarded the decision.

          The last and best bout of the evening was fought between the popular old fighter, Tootsie O’Toole, of Boston, and Young Marino, of Providence. O’Toole is now in the 6th Co. Depot Brigade, and Marino is attached to the Medical Detachment. Both men weighed 125 pounds.

          In the first round Marino started with a left jab to the head which worked often to good advantage. At the end of the round O’Toole did some clever infighting and made things even. Marino scored frequently with a left jab and a right cross to the head in the second, but O’Toole  again came back at the end of the round, landed some telling punches on the body, a fast left and right hook stopping Marino’s attack. In the third round Marino did all the fighting, and O’Toole covered cleverly, a straight left, followed by a right hook, both to the ribs, being the only blows he scored. The fourth round also saw Marino jabbing his smaller opponent all over the ring, but the little Irishman slipped under Marino’s long left a couple of times and hooked a wicked left to the body, chopping over a fast right to the head.

          Marino showed to better advantage at the end of the bout. His footwork was pretty, and he timed all his blows perfectly. O’Toole was driven into the ropes with a straight left to the head, and a right hook to the jaw. In the sixth round O’Toole started fast, but his rushes were unproductive of results, and he finished crouching in a corner of the ring while Marino stood over him and hooked right and left to the body.

          The judges gave the smaller man the decision, and the O’Toole fans went wild with delight.

          Gen. Nicholson, Camp Commander, addressed a few words to the boys, his assurance that he expected them to be with him for many months yet exciting roars of laughter.

          Undoubtedly the best bout of the evening was the Service Four, the greatest quartet that ever sang at Upton. They sang several numbers.

          Present in the ringside seats were Lieut. Col. James E. Abbott, Camp Athletic Director; Capt. Booth, Mike J. Ryan and C. B. Phetteplace, Y. M. C. A. Camp Athletic Director. Capt. Bott and a party of officers from the Base Hospital represented Lieut. Col. W. E. Woodbury.




42nd Basketeers Come Back Strong


          The 42nd Infantry Quartet came back strong in the second game against the strong Base Hospital five.  The game was a fast one from the start, the Infantry boys playing better team-work, and playing the ball over the floor to better advantage their opponents, who were strong on the individual stuff, and lost the game on this account.

          With a little more team practice the pill rollers will make a much better aggregation, and will be hard to beat. Welcome, left forward for the doughboys, was the star of his side, while McCloy, for the losers, played a great game. Line-up:


42nd Inf. (15)                                               Base  (12)







          Substitutes:  Medico for Purdy:  Rittenberg for Kraus.  Goals from field: Welcome, 5; Vatcher, Reddy, McCloy, 2 each; Rittenberg, Houston, Carroll, Marko.  Goals from foul: Welcome.  Referee: Lieut. Jeffrey. Umpire: Lieut. Wray. Timekeeper: Maj. Held. Scorer: Estey.


Medical Detachment Wins From Builders

          Peckworth’s Construction Five was defeated by the strong Medical Detachment team at the Base Hospital “Y.” Horn stein played a fast game, scoring four baskets, but McCloy was the hardest worker on the floor. The pill rollers played better defense, keeping the civilians away from their basket, most of their points being scored with fast runs down the floor. Peck scored four baskets, one being disallowed, but retired in the first period with a sprained ankle. Ader, the fast Depot Brigade forward and Old Upton baseball player substituted in the second half.  Score:


Med. Detach.  (14)                         Peckworth  (11)







          Substitutes: Ader for Deck. Goals from field: Hornstein, 4; McCloy, Peck, 3 each; Ader, Fuller. Goals from foul, Hornstein, 4; Hansen. Referee: Lieut. Wray, Timekeeper: Brown.



          It was a sad, disappointed-looking quintet representing the 42nd Inf. Who, when the final whistle blew, retired to their dressing room at Y. M. C. A. Hut No. 37. They had met five men lighter bar far than themselves and five men whose fast and clever playing was superior.

          The Utilities were victorious again. And what a victory, for the game ended with the score 26 to 0 in their favor. The first half was by far the better of the two, for the teams fought harder and the score at the end of the half stood 9 to 0. Horowitz, the little left guard, starred for the Mechanics, and was nobly assisted by Cohn and Heitlinger. Constance, the husky doughboy center, played well for his team.


Utilities                                               42nd Inf.


Cohn, H……………R.F……………….Hansen




          Substitutes: 42nd Inf.—Croteau for Moriarity, Bishoff for Constant.

          Referee: Mr. Shaw, Y. M. C. A. No. 31

          Timekeeper: Mr. Mike Ryan, Camp Athletic Director. Scorekeeper: Seg’ D. N. Taussig. Camp Utilities Detachment. Time of halves: Fifteen minutes.



Vaudeville “Rookies” Seek Service Tour

          The Service Four, composed of Pvts. Theodore Kline, Kenneth Johnson, Ray Brenna and Marvin Weisberg, are singing as merrily as ever about camp, although their discharges have not yet been signed.  Last week at the Liberty they sang at both showings of D. W. Griffith’s picture “Hearts of the World.” Their many appearances in New York lately at big benefits have caused several vaudeville agents to bid for them for a long tour as soon as they are released from the service.




          The Hotel Association of New York City, 44 East 29th street, has issued posters asking soldiers who desire work to call. Light work for disabled men as well as employment for the able-bodied is promised suitable applicants.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2021 Manitowoc Public School District